[SciPy-user] matrix mult operator

Travis Oliphant oliphant@ee.byu....
Mon Jun 25 17:04:33 CDT 2007

David Warde-Farley wrote:

>On 25-Jun-07, at 3:18 PM, Robert Kern wrote:
>

>It was more of a general statement about the frustrating non-
>arguments made by some in the name of "Pythonicity". But I'm glad to
>hear that the attendance at PyCon is diverse.
>
>Don't get me wrong, I like Python, I like SciPy. I just find myself
>occasionally at odds with the decision making processes up the chain.

I think you will find a lot of people who also have thought in similar
ways here on this mailing list.  I for one would like to see an operator
that allows us to distinguish between element-wise and object-wise
operations.  In the end, though, it hasn't been enough of a "need" for
me to put in the considerable time and energy needed to convince others
who use Python that the additional complexity is worth the added benefit.

What it really takes to get something changed in Python is:

1) a champion willing to write a PEP, shepherd it through many revisions
and critiques and eventually write the implementation.  As somebody who
has both published in peer-reviewed journals and written two PEPs,
publishing a paper is easier to do.

2) the ears/eyes of Guido or one of his trusted developers.  Note that
these resources are not too difficult to obtain once #1 is accomplished...

So, your criticisms and concerns are valid and useful.   Perhaps someday
we can make a case sufficient to make a change regarding the operator
situation.

-Travis