[SciPy-user] Any Books on SciPy?

David Warde-Farley david.warde.farley@utoronto...
Thu Mar 1 22:13:25 CST 2007

On Thu, 2007-03-01 at 21:06 +0000, Donald Fredkin wrote:
> > I haven't seen anyone mention "Numerical Methods in Engineering with
> > Python" by Jaan Kiusalaas. It was published in 2005, and uses
> > numarray, so it is somewhat dated considering all the impressive
> > developments with NumPy and SciPy. I mention it for the sake of
> > completeness.
>
> This book has a first chapter on the basics of Python. The remainder
> is
> a light weight introduction to numerical methods and does not teach
> anything about Python.

A lab mate of mine showed me this today. It does seem useful in that it
contains lots of little recipes. Unfortunately, I think that the recipe
I was interested in, namely the conjugate gradient solver linear
systems, was incorrect or at least incompatible with NumPy (the
residuals were *diverging*, somehow) and I ended up rewriting it from
scratch.

David