[SciPy-user] TraitsUI tutorial

Sun Mar 4 13:27:39 CST 2007

TraitsUI is a package to create user interfaces by building dialogs from
objects. It actually does much more and provides tools for dynamical
notifications and is thus a good framework for data-flow programming and
inversion of control. As it is based on WxPython it is portable and
integrates in other GUIs (it can be used in an application with
matplotlib, for instance).

I have used it very successfully to write a software to control a lab
experiment. I find that it is the easiest way to build GUI under python.

I had a few difficulties in the beginning, due my ignorance of basics
facts in GUI programming. I have writing a tutorial that targets the
casual programmer, hopping to leverage traitsUI to just about any
scientist that uses python. The tutorial has been mentioned a few times
on the ML, but this time I have made the last modifications I wanted to,
so I announce the first version that I am not ashamed of:
http://www.gael-varoquaux.info/computers/traits_tutorial/index.html.
I have also made a cookbook entry: http://scipy.org/TraitsUI

If you agree with me that this is the easiest way to build graphical
interfaces under python, please help me spread the word.

Cheers,

Gaël