[SciPy-user] SciPy-user Digest, Vol 43, Issue 9

Tue Mar 6 11:10:58 CST 2007

On 06/03/07, Paul Ray <paul.ray@nrl.navy.mil> wrote:

> On Mar 6, 2007, at 11:51 AM, scipy-user-request@scipy.org wrote:
>
> > It is easy enough to just pull interp out.  Some of the functions
> > in arrayfns are in numpy.lib already (in the _compiled_base.c module.
> > Perhaps we could put interp in there as well (it doesn't look too
> > big).  A simple 1-d interpolation would probably be a useful thing
> > to have in NumPy.   What do others think?
>
> It sounds good to me.  I often have to regrid irregularly spaced data
> onto a uniform grid, which I use interpolate.splrep and
> interpolate.splev from scipy to do.  This is often the only
> dependency on scipy in my codes that otherwise use only numpy.  I'd
> love having a 1-d interp in numpy.

Why not just use scipy? splev works fine, and numpy doesn't need to
grow any more... it seems to me that numpy should include just the
basics of working with arrays (indexing functions, ufuncs, matrix
multiplication, things like searchsorted) and all the mathematics
(ffts, linear algebra, interpolation, integration) should go in scipy.

Anne M. Archibald