[SciPy-user] Arrayfns in numpy?

vallis.35530172@blogline... vallis.35530172@blogline...
Tue Mar 6 13:37:31 CST 2007

+10

This is not about adding new functionality to numpy. It's about keeping
something that was in Numeric (arrayfns.interp, in particular), and that was
taken out for numpy.

Whereas porting code to numpy for Numeric is trivial
in most cases, if the code included arrayfns.interp then a dependency on scipy
must be added (which is a big deal!), or a new interpolation function must
be written from scratch.

To make it obvious that the new numpy should not
include computations, perhaps this functionality should sit in the oldnumeric
compatibility layer. Would that be satisfactory to Souheil?

Michele

--- SciPy Users List <scipy-user@scipy.org wrote:
-100

> I am strongly
opposed to mixing computations into NumPY.  Why is 1-d
> interpolation
good to have inside of NumPy? why not nd-interpolation?
> why not fft?
or SVD? or some linear algebra thing?

> Python is good because of it
lets you have a lot of granularity.

> NumPy should stick to what it's
good at.  And it should be very good
> at a small number of things, namely
it should be a library for
> efficient storage and access to data that
is well represented by N-
> dimensional arrays.

> Souheil Inati, PhD
> Assistant Professor