[SciPy-user] Arrayfns in numpy?

Travis Oliphant oliphant@ee.byu....
Wed Mar 7 01:13:26 CST 2007

> -100
>
> I am strongly opposed to mixing computations into NumPY.  Why is 1-d
> interpolation good to have inside of NumPy? why not nd-interpolation?
> why not fft? or SVD? or some linear algebra thing?

I agree with the idea of the statement.  However, practicality may beat
purity here because of the backward-compatibility issue.  The only
proposal on the table is pulling in more functions from arrayfns.   I'm
fine if they live in the oldnumeric name-space (but it will actually be
easier to put them in the lib namespace because the arrayfnsmodule.c
file became the _compiled_base.c file in numpy.lib.

Perhaps they can still live in _compiled_base.c  but not be pulled in to
numpy.lib (only a  oldnumeric.arrayfns module).

-Travis