[SciPy-user] FEM

Håkan Jakobsson hakan.jakobsson@gmail....
Fri Mar 16 21:05:51 CDT 2007

Hi list,
Python/scipy newbie here. I'm currently writing my master's thesis in
computational mathematics - discontinuous galerkin methods to be
precise. I'v been doing all the numerics for my thesis in Matlab but
stumbled upon Python and scipy by chance. As a little experiment I
translated one of my solvers into Python using numpy, scipy and the
pysparse packages, and I was very impressed with the effort/performance
ratio. Now, to the point..

If you're doing finite element analysis, what are you're experiences
using Python? Do you use Python as your main development tool? In
conjunction with C, Fortran? Is there any drawbacks with using Python
for this type of work? Anything else?

I hope I'm not asking to much here, but it would be really interesting
to know a bit about what the situation's like. I think Python and scipy
is really great, and now I'm trying to convince everyone else...

Please, share with me your experiences.

/Håkan J