[SciPy-user] building numpy/scipy on Solaris

David M. Cooke cookedm@physics.mcmaster...
Wed Mar 21 05:23:03 CDT 2007

On Wed, Mar 21, 2007 at 09:59:04AM +0100, raphael langella wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 20, 2007 at 12:08:14PM +0100, raphael langella wrote:
> > > I'm trying to build numpy and scipy on Solaris 8.
> > > The BLAS FAQ on netlib.org suggests using optimized BLAS librairies
> > > provided by computer vendor, like the SUN Performance Library. This
> > > library is supposed to provide enhanced and optimized version of
> > BLAS> and LAPACK. I happen to have Forte 7 installed, so I first
> > tried to
> > > build against this library (libsunperf.a).
>
> It's supposed to support LAPACK v3.0 and BLAS1, 2 & 3
> (http://developers.sun.com/sunstudio/perflib_index.html).
> It gives me this when I import numpy :
> ImportError: ld.so.1: python: fatal: relocation error: file
> /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/numpy/linalg/lapack_lite.so: symbol
> __getenv_: referenced symbol not found

Odd. lapack_lite doesn't use getenv anywhere, so it must be the sunperf
library (and http://docs.sun.com/source/819-3692/plug_optimizing.html
shows that it does look at environment variables). I'm guessing there's
some link-time option that it needs.

> > > Warning: FAILURE importing tests for <module 'scipy.io.mio' from
> > '...site-packages/scipy/io/mio.pyc'>
> > > /home/user1/ctcils/poladmin/rla/root/lib/python2.3/site-
> > packages/scipy/io/tests/test_mio.py:14: ImportError: cannot import
> > name loadmat (in ?)
> >
> > Odd. loadmat comes from scipy.io.mio, and it's a pure python routine.
> >
> > Did you remove the build/ directory before trying again? Distutils can
> > get confused if it's interrupted (it doesn't do dependency tracking
> > thatwell).
>
> Yes I did.
>

> > Huh, I'd say the Sun library isn't accurate enough. Sacrificing
> > accuracyfor speed, no doubt.
>
> OK, but I didn't compile scipy and numpy against libsunperf, I used
> netlib.org versions of blas and lapack. On the other hand, I did build
> lapack against libsunperf (that's the default in make.inc.SUN4SOL2), so
> I'm not sure which blas library is used in the end.

Hmm, then I'm going to blame the compiler :) Maybe it's doing some
optimization that it shouldn't? -fast, maybe?