[SciPy-user] animate solitons

Peter Wang pwang@enthought....
Wed Mar 21 12:21:32 CDT 2007

On Mar 21, 2007, at 12:07 PM, Bryan Van de Ven wrote:

> That chaco example I posted was made specifically in response to a
> question
> about realtime DAQ, so it does generate some random data "on the
> fly" to
> simulate a realtime data stream. However, it would be pretty
> trivial to have it,
> say, step through the rows of a preset 2d array each timer tick
> instead.

Actually, the updating_plot demos in https://svn.enthought.com/
enthought/browser/trunk/src/lib/enthought/chaco2/examples/
updating_plot do precisely this - on each timer increment, they
modify the plot's data to reflect a slightly different subsection of
the total data.

> Is there a tidy package
> that lets you take, say, a 2D array and treat one axis as x-values and
> the other axis as time, and produce an animation?

You might also be interested in the scalar image function inspector:
https://svn.enthought.com/enthought/browser/trunk/src/lib/enthought/
chaco2/advanced/scalar_image_function_inspector

This interactively shows cross-cuts in X and Y through a 2D scalar
data volume.  You can see a screenshot at:
http://code.enthought.com/chaco/gallery/
scalar_image_function_inspector.png

Much of the complexity in the code for this demo is in hooking up
many of the interactive elements; if all that was desired was
animation in a single dimension as the user moved a slider, then the
code would be much simplified.

-peter