[SciPy-user] Bug in scipy.sparse

Neilen Marais nmarais@sun.ac...
Fri Nov 2 08:51:13 CDT 2007

Hi Olivier

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 12:01:50 +0100, Olivier Verdier wrote:

> The first thing I'm surprised about with scipy.sparse is that it uses
> the matrix type instead of the array type. This is very unfortunate, in
> my opinion.
> The bug is that a sparse matrix won't work correctly with `dot` and
> `array`:
>
> This is a pity because any code that works with arrays or matrices in
> general and uses `dot` to do the matrix vector multiplication will be
> *broken* with sparse matrices.

Yeah, I agree this is a bit irritating sometimes. OTOH you usually know
when you are dealing with sparse matrices since they tend to be fairly
specific in their application.

> How reliable is scipy.sparse? Is there any plan to make it more
> compatible with the array type? Behave like the array type? How can I
> help?

I find it to be quite reliable for my work (i.e. WorksForMe), but I've
been using spmat.matvec() since the beginning. I use SVN versions of
scipy/numpy since the sparse bits seem to improve faster than the release
cycles come around. Of course you can always help by reporting bugs and
making patches for things you think could be better.

There's a lot to be done. The trick is not to be shy, if your patches are
OK they'll get applied quickly, and the worst that can happen is that
someone will say no ;P

Regards
Neilen