[SciPy-user] Scipy + Vision = LabView ?

Sat Nov 3 09:52:33 CDT 2007

On Fri, Nov 02, 2007 at 07:31:53PM +0100, Stef Mientki wrote:
> > Concerning vision, there are at least 3 or 4 projects doing Visual
> > programming for scientific Python purposes.

> Well I'm very interested to see these projects !

OK, now I have to name them, huho.

So we have Vision, that is indeed impressive, but really built around
custom tools. It would be a large amount of work to abstract out the
visual programming part of the rest, but it is probably possible.

Then we have orange, that dies no seem to be fully written in Python, but
certainly uses Python (http://www.ailab.si/orange/screenshots.asp)

Elefant also uses a visual programming engine. see
http://scipy.org/SciPy2007/Presentations for Christfried Webers' slides
on elefant, or their main webpage (
http://elefant.developer.nicta.com.au/ ). I talked to Christfried at
scipy, and he definitly seemed open for collaborations.

And we have enthought's approach. If you want to have a glimpse at the
UI, you can look on page 24 of Eric's slides. The two interesting things
about enthought's approach is that they reuse their knowhow in layout
engine to generate the dialogs (I am not to sure it is pure traits, but it
seems linked), and, most interesting, that they use standard python
functions to build their visual blocks, and do not need descriptions of
input and output. Obviously this imposes a lot of restriction on the way
the functions behave (basically pure functionnal-like behavior, where
side effects are banned), and last time I talked with them, they had
problems adding flow control to this. But they are using this engine in a
commercial app, which means that there is money going in it to improve
it, so it is definetaly worth the look.

Gaël