[SciPy-user] Scipy + Vision = LabView ? part 2

Mon Nov 5 16:16:43 CST 2007

On Mon, Nov 05, 2007 at 09:37:24PM +0100, Stef Mientki wrote:
> So I think we not necessarily  need a  graphical user interface,
> but good libraries with easy to understand functions,
> a priori given ranges and units, good help files etc.

> So maybe not "graphical" is the magic word, but moreover "bricks"  like
> Lego uses them ;-)

I think we need a good IDE, with integrated help/calltips, a good help, a
library browsers, a interactive debug for exploring program flow... I
wonder if SPE has a reusable API that we could use  to build this API,
along with envisage, ipython, once it has a wx front end, MPL,...

I must admit this is the dream plan that I would really like to see
happen in the next few years, and this is a lot what my pitch about
reusable components was about. If we have set of tools, all based on
WxWidget (just choosing WxWidget because it already has a lot of tools
available, and looks windowsish under windows), that we could assemble
for a good IDE (that means better than Matlab, it wouldn't be to hard to
do), something that would meld pycrust, ipython, MPL, mayavi (the tree on
the side is a good UI feature IMHO, that could be generalized), SPE...

I don't think the planets are yet aligned to start coding such a tools,
we are missing key components (e.g. wx front end to ipython), but if all
the people working on a tools think hard how they can make it a reusable
as possible, as easy to integrate seamlessly in an application, then
we'll get there in a year or two.

    Gaël