[SciPy-user] Solve

lorenzo bolla lbolla@gmail....
Tue Nov 6 09:45:39 CST 2007

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but it seems you look at solve(a,b) as a
function to return the solution of the linear symbolic equation: a * x = b
(whose solution is: x = b / a), with x scalar.
Instead, solve(a,b) gives the numerical solution of the linear system a * x
= b, with x and b 1d-arrays and a 2d-array. For examples, something like:
 2 * x1 + 3 * x2 = 4
4 * x1 + 5 * x2 = 6
where x = [x1, x2], b = [4, 6] and a = [[2, 3], [4, 5]]. solve(a,b) returns
[-1, 2].

If from the file you import a string with the symbolic representation of you
equation, and you want to solve it symbolically, stay with simpy.
hth,
L.