[SciPy-user] Problem installing scipy 0.6.0 on PPC OS X 10.5 Leopard.

Zachary Pincus zpincus@stanford....
Sat Nov 10 06:24:31 CST 2007

Hello all,

> Are you using the builtin python?  If so, you will need to set your
> PYTHONPATH to point to the directory where numpy 1.0.4 is installed.
> The reason is that the builtin python comes with python 1.0.1, which
> won't build scipy with the gfortran you have.

I'm not using Leopard, but if I recall from the discussion on python-
mac, there's the added difficulty that the environment isn't
preserved through 'sudo' -- so just setting the PYTHONPATH
environment variable won't work if you need to 'sudo python setup.py
install' to install a given library to a system directory.

I don't recall what the recommended solution, if any, was. I think it
involved some .pth file trickery that looked relatively, um, ugly.
Alternately, one could select a non-system directory as your local
site-packages, via a .pth or PYTHONPATH, so sudo is not needed to
install. This doesn't work for system admins supporting multiple
users though. Finally, on the horizon were some options for setting
up "virtual" python installs that would act like separate installs
from the system one for the purpose of installing packages, but would
use the system python and its libs under the covers.

Is there yet any set of simple, newbie-friendly instructions that
covers how best to install things like numpy/scipy on leopard?

Zach