[SciPy-user] Bundling numpy/scipy with applications

Tue Nov 13 01:35:40 CST 2007

Johann Cohen-Tanugi wrote:

> do make install in platform/numpy fails exactly in the same way :
I  forgot to tell you to do make clean before, otherwise, it indeed has
no way to fail in a different way :)
> [cohen@localhost numpy]$ make install
> [===== NOW BUILDING:    numpy-1.0.3.1   =====]
>         [fetch] complete for numpy.
>         [checksum] complete for numpy.
>         [extract] complete for numpy.
>         [patch] complete for numpy.
> # Change default path when looking for libs to fake dir,
> # so we can set everything by env variables
> cd work/main.d/numpy-1.0.3.1 &&
> PYTHONPATH=/home/cohen/garnumpyinstall/lib/python2.5/site-packages:/home/cohen/garnumpyinstall/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gtk-2.0
> /usr/bin/python \
>         setup.py config_fc --fcompiler=gnu config
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "setup.py", line 90, in <module>
>     setup_package()
>   File "setup.py", line 60, in setup_package
>     from numpy.distutils.core import setup
>   File
> "/data1/sources/python/garnumpy-0.4/platform/numpy/work/main.d/numpy-1.0.3.1/numpy/__init__.py",
> line 39, in <module>
>     import core
>   File
> "/data1/sources/python/garnumpy-0.4/platform/numpy/work/main.d/numpy-1.0.3.1/numpy/core/__init__.py",
> line 8, in <module>
>     import numerictypes as nt
>   File
> "/data1/sources/python/garnumpy-0.4/platform/numpy/work/main.d/numpy-1.0.3.1/numpy/core/numerictypes.py",
> line 83, in <module>
>     from numpy.core.multiarray import typeinfo, ndarray, array, empty, dtype
> ImportError: No module named multiarray
I really don't understand this error: you are configuring numpy for
compilation, so it should not try to import numpy.core (which has no way
to succeed since it is not built yet). IOW, it is a bootstrap error
(numpy build system tries to import numpy).

If after make clean, it still does not work, you may try to do:

make clean
make patch

And then go into work/ work/main.d/numpy-1.0.3.1/, and just execute
python setup.py config there, and give me the errors (you can also give
them to me in private).

David