[SciPy-user] New example

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Thu Nov 22 15:18:47 CST 2007

On Oct 29, 2007 2:07 PM, Stefan van der Walt <stefan@sun.ac.za> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Here is the code for doing an elementary finite difference heat-flow
> simulation.  This is really just a repeated convolution, with certain
> values resetting after each time-step (sources or sinks).  The code
> was written for Numeric, but it seems to run under NumPy without
> problems.
>
> Regards
> Stéfan
>

> On Fri, Oct 26, 2007 at 08:40:19AM +0200, Gael Varoquaux wrote:
> > Anne and Stefan, I think these examples are very useful, and definitely
> > should be on the scipy.org website.

Would you all mind/want to have them contributed to the workbook of
the 'python for science' workshop that John Hunter and I have taught
(and will teach again soon)?

http://matplotlib.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/matplotlib/trunk/py4science/workbook/

Obviously contributor credit would be given for all material, and this
is available already to anyone wanting to use this for teaching (I
need to update the credits page to list Stefan already for the FFT
examples, let me know of anyone else I've missed).

For a long time we've talked about sharing open teaching materials for
scientific computing, and this is already a little start.  The current
workbook with solutions clocks in at ~57 pages, and over the next few
days we'll try to add more.

Cheers,