[SciPy-user] Finding all the roots in an interval

Mon Oct 1 02:22:56 CDT 2007

On Mon, Oct 01, 2007 at 08:48:32AM +0200, dgalant wrote:
> I can't help but to jump in with an old and probably obscure
> reference to a paper

> BUSH JONES, W. G. WALLER and ARNOLD FELDMAN,
> "Root isolation using function values"

It's probably the solution to the problem I was having. I can't read the
paper unfortunately, as being in a physics departement I don't have
access to this publication. It is interesting to see that it is quoted
in a paper on maximum likelihood parameter estimation, which is exactly
the context in which I stumbled on this problem.

As I stated in my answer to Anne, I might shift totally my strategy and
no longer have to find these roots, because both the analytic
calculations, and the root finding numerical problem, get much more
complicated as I add more physics in my problem.

Thanks for the reference, though, it is useful to know where this problem
has been discussed.

Cheers,

Gaël