[SciPy-user] problem installing sciPy

Fri Oct 5 06:42:23 CDT 2007

marco turchi wrote:
> dear experts,
> I'm trying to install sciPy on a linux machine with RedHat 4.
> This machine has an old Python, so I have installed a new version
> 2.5.1 in /usr/local. I'm not administrator of this machine, so I did
> not do "make install", but just "make".
> Then I have installed numPy using the new version of Python, and
> everything works properly.
> Now I try to install sciPy writing:
> /usr/local/Python-2.5.1/python setup.py install
Hi Marko,

    First, RHEL 4 uses python 2.3, which is supported by scipy, so there
is no need to install python2.5 just for scipy. If you are new to python
installation, I advise you against compiling your own python.

> but I got several errors, it seems that it is not able to find some
> libraries:
> mkl_info:
>   libraries mkl,vml,guide not found in /usr/local/lib
>   libraries mkl,vml,guide not found in /usr/lib
>   NOT AVAILABLE
>
> fftw3_info:
>   libraries fftw3 not found in /usr/local/lib
>   libraries fftw3 not found in /usr/lib
>   fftw3 not found
>   NOT AVAILABLE
>
> fftw2_info:
>   libraries rfftw,fftw not found in /usr/local/lib
>   libraries rfftw,fftw not found in /usr/lib
>   fftw2 not found
>   NOT AVAILABLE
>
> etc etc
>
> sorry, but I'm new in this kind of staff, please can u help to install
> it???
This is not a big problem, because those are optional. Did the build
failed ?

cheers,

David