[SciPy-user] problem installing sciPy

marco turchi marco.turchi@gmail....
Fri Oct 5 07:03:04 CDT 2007

Dear Davis,
I need to install the new version of python, because the old one has not the
python-dev and the administrator of the machine told me that he could not
install it... do not ask me the reason :-(

anyway the python installation works, i can use the new one...

the scipy installation failed, I got:

/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/numpy/distutils/system_info.py:1326:
UserWarning:
    Blas (http://www.netlib.org/blas/) sources not found.
    Directories to search for the sources can be specified in the
    numpy/distutils/site.cfg file (section [blas_src]) or by setting
    the BLAS_SRC environment variable.
  warnings.warn(BlasSrcNotFoundError.__doc__)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "setup.py", line 53, in <module>
    setup_package()
  File "setup.py", line 45, in setup_package
    configuration=configuration )
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/numpy/distutils/core.py",
line 142, in setup
    config = configuration()
  File "setup.py", line 19, in configuration
    config.add_subpackage('scipy')
  File
"/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/numpy/distutils/misc_util.py", line
798, in add_subpackage
    caller_level = 2)
  File
"/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/numpy/distutils/misc_util.py", line
781, in get_subpackage
    caller_level = caller_level + 1)
  File
"/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/numpy/distutils/misc_util.py", line
728, in _get_configuration_from_setup_py
    config = setup_module.configuration(*args)
  File "scipy/setup.py", line 7, in configuration
    config.add_subpackage('integrate')
  File
"/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/numpy/distutils/misc_util.py", line
798, in add_subpackage
    caller_level = 2)
  File
"/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/numpy/distutils/misc_util.py", line
781, in get_subpackage
    caller_level = caller_level + 1)
  File
"/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/numpy/distutils/misc_util.py", line
728, in _get_configuration_from_setup_py
    config = setup_module.configuration(*args)
  File "scipy/integrate/setup.py", line 11, in configuration
    blas_opt = get_info('blas_opt',notfound_action=2)
  File
"/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/numpy/distutils/system_info.py",
line 256, in get_info
    return cl().get_info(notfound_action)
  File
"/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/numpy/distutils/system_info.py",
line 405, in get_info
    raise self.notfounderror,self.notfounderror.__doc__
numpy.distutils.system_info.BlasNotFoundError:
    Blas (http://www.netlib.org/blas/) libraries not found.
    Directories to search for the libraries can be specified in the
    numpy/distutils/site.cfg file (section [blas]) or by setting
    the BLAS environment variable.

Do i need to install BLAS??? Where can i find it?

I'm able to run numpy, call the help and so on, but I try to run the numpy
test, but I got this
./../Python-2.5.1/python -c 'import numpy; numpy.test()'
Running from numpy source directory.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'test'

Do you think that the problem is here in numpy??

thanks a lot
Marco