[SciPy-user] Illegal instruction in testsuite of revision 3378

Robin robince@gmail....
Sun Oct 7 10:43:54 CDT 2007

On 10/7/07, Stefan van der Walt <stefan@sun.ac.za> wrote:

> One common denominator here seems to be gcc 3.4.  Have you tried
> compiling scipy with a more recent version?  I'd appreciate it if you
> could.

I don't think that'll be so straightforward for me.

Cygwin comes with 3.4.4 and I can't find any binaries for later versions so
it would mean building it from source. Also I understand the reason MinGW
and Cygwin haven't released any later versions yet is because of lots of
problems on Win32... I'm reluctant to spend a lot more time on this (took me
several tries and a couple of days to actually get atlas/numpy/scipy to
build on Windows in the first place) with no guarantee it'll work.

If anyone knows a later version of gcc that is known to build on Cygwin  and
has been used to successfully compile atlas/lapack/numpy/scipy then I'm
happy to give it a try, but I'm reluctant to start investigating on my own,
at the risk of spending a lot of time on a gcc version that just won't work.

Given the difficulty of obtaining later versions of gcc on windows I think
that for Cygwin/Mingw to be a supported platform, scipy should really build
with the released versions and not require users to compile their own gcc in
order to get it to work...

Cheers

Robin