[SciPy-user] fromimage returns instance instead of numpy array

Sebastian Haase haase@msg.ucsf....
Wed Oct 10 14:03:35 CDT 2007

On 10/10/07, Stefan van der Walt <stefan@sun.ac.za> wrote:
> Hi Zachary
>
> On Tue, Oct 09, 2007 at 11:19:13PM -0400, Zachary Pincus wrote:
> > > PIL 1.1.6 is still broken to some extent.  I sent a patch to the Image
> > > SIG:
> > >
> > > http://mail.python.org/pipermail/image-sig/2007-August/004570.html
> > >
> > > Unfortunately, there was no reaction.
> >
> > I sent a very similar patch a while ago, and got similar results
> > (i.e. no response).
> >
> > Moreover, the PIL is extremely inconsistent about its handling of 16-
> > bit integer images (important for many scientific uses), and has
> > various byte-swapping bugs for these on little-endian architectures.
> > There was also little interest in my patches about those issues...
> >
> > I have for a while been toying with taking the image format parsers
> > (all in pure python) from the PIL and hooking that up to numpy for
> > actually unpacking the bits from the file. (Right now, the PIL uses
> > some custom and occasionally questionable C code to do this.) I've
> > made no progress, but I think it would be possible to do so with not
> > too much fuss. Would there be any interest in something like this?
> >
> > My current solution is a fork of PIL that I made, which rips out
> > basically everything except image IO, and for which I fixed the 16-
> > bit image problems and drastically beefed up the numpy compatibility.
> > I'd be happy to send this to anyone who desires, or if there was a
> > specific clamor, make it a scikit or something. Is there any interest
> > regarding that either?
>
> Currently, we have 3 systems involved here:
>
> - scipy.misc.pilutil
> - scipy.ndimage
> - PIL
>
> Jarrod Millman mentioned that they will soon start a rewrite/major
> refactoring of ndimage.  I think we should merge all the image
> processing and I/O abilities currently available in scipy into the new
> package.  Ndimage was written before numpy reached 1.0, and duplicates
> a lot of functionality that can now be written in Python.  Converting
> the code from C to Python will certainly lessen the burden on
> developers.
>
> I hope that your code finds it way into the new ndimage (it may help
> if you make the patches available now, already -- or if you write a
> wiki page about the deficiencies you noticed).  I'm keeping my eyes
> open, and hope to see some more messages on the topic from the nipy
> guys.

Please keep in mind that "image" in ndimage does not refer to the kind
of "image" as is "image file format" -- those are two entirely
different things.
This was discussed here on this list before, some time ago.

Cheers,
Sebastian Haase