[SciPy-user] Python mode in emacs 22 (Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon)

Ryan Krauss ryanlists@gmail....
Tue Oct 23 13:59:52 CDT 2007

I have spent some time tinkering with this and think it might benefit emacs
+ ubuntu users.

Stefan suggested I use emacs-snapshot from the peadrop repository.  It was
already in my package manager without having to add the repository.  Aside
from having beautiful anti-aliased fonts, it plays nicely with the
python-mode that is distributed separately (the one that works with emacs
21).  The snapshot is emacs 22.1.50.1.  Having several emacs versions
side-by-side doesn't seem to cause any issues.  I just changed the symbolic
link /usr/bin/emacs to point to the version I actually want to run
(emacs-snapshot-gtk in my case).  The emacs-22 that is the package manager
does not work with the python-mode separate package and the python-mode
built into emacs-22 doesn't have as many features.  So, I highly recommend
emacs-snapshot to solve this problem (emacs-22 and python-mode
incompatibility).

I didn't actually do this, but Stefan recommended:

sudo update-alternatives --set emacs-snapshot /usr/bin/emacs-snapshot-gtk
sudo aptitude reinstall emacs-snapshot

This may have been less hackish than changing the target of /usr/bin/emacs.

Note that adding
(setq inhibit-splash-screen t)
to your .emacs file removes an annoyance with the splash screen in
emacs-snapshot (annoying in my opinion at least).

FWIW,

Ryan