[SciPy-user] Fwd: interpolation question

John Travers jtravs@gmail....
Thu Oct 25 04:13:37 CDT 2007

On 24/10/2007, Stefan van der Walt <stefan@sun.ac.za> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 24, 2007 at 08:51:20AM -0600, Michael Hearne wrote:
> > Is it uncommon to think of columns as being in the x direction, and
> > rows in y?
>
> In my experience, that is the most common convention.

After surveying my colleagues in the lab I have come to conclude that
you are right, and I'm the odd one out here....

> Personally, I find it easiest to always use row and column indices,
> and to refrain from using x or y to describe them.  On the other hand,
> this may not be easy when implementing algorithms from literature, set
> in the X-Y plane.

I agree with this, however, the original confusion here came from the
fact that I called the dummy argument names of RectBivariateSpline x,
y, and z. Maybe they should have been named in a more transparent way
like row_basis, col_basis, data etc.

Cheers,
John