[SciPy-user] www.scipy.org down?

eric jones eric@enthought....
Tue Sep 4 09:29:32 CDT 2007

Huge apologies about this.

Having the server down for a short period is undesirable.  Having it
down for half a day is unacceptable.  On the good side, the SciPy
servers are apparently getting a whole lot more traffic this year than
last year.  On the bad side, the server/software hasn't scaled as well
as one would hope.

Jarrod talked to me about doing some sys admin work on scipy.org while
we were at the SciPy conference.  We discussed upgrading the OS, getting
better monitor/re-start mechanisms in place, and, most importantly,
getting a group of people from multiple different time zones in place to
help in case of problems.  Jeff Strunk is going to work on getting this
organized, and he'll post something here soon.  I believe he's going to
set up a separate distribution to keep sys-admin issues off this list.

Again, sorry about the down time,
eric