[SciPy-user] How to free unused memory by Python

Wed Sep 5 06:51:32 CDT 2007

Jouni K. Seppänen wrote:
> massimo sandal <massimo.sandal@unibo.it> writes:
>

>> If you know of a memory debugging tool for python, let us know!
>>

> See Michael Droettboom's description of how he fixed a bunch of leaks in
> matplotlib:
>
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.matplotlib.devel/2804

One really useful tool with valgrind to look for memory leak is massif:

http://valgrind.org/docs/manual/ms-manual.html

It is really easy to use, and can be used to detect and find a memory
leak if you can easily reproduce the problem. I've used it myself to
squash some memory leak in scipy/numpy (C extension mostly, but not
only). It is extremely useful to improve the performances of some code
too ( to detect if you create/recreate temporaries).

David