[SciPy-user] scoreatpercentile on 2D array gives unexpected result

Vincent vincent.nijs@gmail....
Mon Sep 10 22:00:28 CDT 2007

I want to get certain percentiles of each column of an array (i.e.,
2.5th, 50th, and 97.5th).

Testing the scipy scoreatpercentile function i get some results I
didn't expect.

In [5]: z
Out[5]:
array([[1, 1, 1],
       [1, 1, 1],
       [4, 4, 3],
       [1, 1, 1],
       [1, 1, 1]])

The following works as expected:

In [6]: N.median(z)
Out[6]: array([1, 1, 1])

Now using scoreatpercentile:

In [54]: scipy.stats.scoreatpercentile(z,50)
Out[54]: array([3, 4, 4])

The function seems to assume the 2D array is already sorted and then
it sorts the returned array from low to high?

When I pass scoreatpercentile an array with one column things do seem
to work as I expect:

In [56]: scipy.stats.scoreatpercentile(z[:,0],50)
Out[56]: 1

Any ideas what is going on? Should I be using a different function?

Thanks,

Vincent