[SciPy-user] Python FEA

LUK ShunTim shuntim.luk@polyu.edu...
Tue Sep 11 22:36:03 CDT 2007

Ryan Krauss wrote:
> I would like to start working on finite element analysis using Python.
>  I would like to work specifically in two areas:
> 1. feedback control of flexible structures
> 2. modeling impact/contact
>
> My assumption is that much is being done in FEA in general and that I
> would need to write code specific to incorporating feedback or
> modeling contact.  But I am not sure what all is being done using
> Python in FEA.  A quick google search turned up the following:
>
> PyFemax:
> http://www.python.org/pycon/papers/pysparse.html
>
> Pfem:
> http://pfem.sourceforge.net/
>
> which seem like good starts that may or may not still be maintained.
>
> Is anyone working on FEA in Python or can anyone point me to a project
> my google search failed to turn up?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ryan

Hello Ryan,

I guess it really depends on the level of details that you'd like to go
into. One idea you might consider is general FEM packages that have some
python wrappers already. For example, these I know of

sundance/trilinos
http://software.sandia.gov/sundance/
http://trilinos.sandia.gov/
http://trilinos.sandia.gov/packages/pytrilinos/