[SciPy-user] building numpy/scipy on Solaris

Lucas Barbuto lucasjb@csse.unimelb.edu...
Fri Sep 14 00:08:17 CDT 2007

On 10/09/2007, at 4:30 PM, David Cournapeau wrote:
> Do I understand correctly that you want to compiler numpy/scipy with
> gcc, using sunperf ? I am not familiar with non gnu devtools under
> solaris, so I don't know if sunperf libraries are supposed to work
> with
> gcc ?

All I really want is a working NumPy and SciPy installation on
Solaris 9/x86.  Seeing as SciPy recommends vendor optimised BLAS and
LAPACK routines and I don't want to build ATLAS, I figure I should
use Sun's Performance Library (sunperf).  As far as I can tell, it
won't be possible to use GCC because of the compiler flags needed for
sunperf (see below).

> My main guess, though, would be that sunperf requires more than just
> -lblas option to link; generally, you need some other link flags.
> Since
> the default error message of the linker is non explanatory, we need
> more
> info. What does nm
> /local/cat2/apps-archive/SUNWspro-12/prod/lib/libblas.so returns
> (assuming libblas.so is the name of the library) ?

What I've read in the sunperf user guide[1] suggests I'm supposed to
use the flags "-dalign", "-xlic_lib=sunperf" and "-xarch=generic" for
x86 architecture, these flags aren't supported by GCC.

1. http://docs.sun.com/source/819-5268/plug_intro.html#0_pgfId-11912

Sunperf apparently contains "enhanced" versions of LAPACK, BLAS and
various other libraries.  The .so is 18MB so the nm output is
understandably long, this output was via 'grep FUNC'.  I assume you
just want to see function names?

http://www.cs.mu.oz.au:80/~lucasjb/nm_output_func_sunperf_so_3.txt

I've been having a really difficult time with NumPy's distutils
system.  So much so that I've resorted to writing my own
sunccompiler.py customisation so that I can set the CFLAGS and
LDFLAGS that I want.  Regardless, I continue to end up at the same
unresolved symbols dead-end and I'm way over my head in compiler and
linker options.

Thanks anyway for your interest David.

Regards,

--