[SciPy-user] Debian Live CD

Angus McMorland amcmorl@gmail....
Fri Sep 14 00:17:34 CDT 2007

Hi all,

To give myself enough parallel computing power to run some simulations
I need to get this thesis out the door, I've been given permission to
take over a computer lab in the weekends and evenings...

To run the computers, I've constructed a debian live CD (from the
current testing distribution), including:

python 2.4.4
numpy 1.0.1
scipy 0.5.2
matplotlib 0.90.1
ipython 0.8.1
Scientific 2.4.11
mayavi2 2.0.2a1.dev_r14175, and its stable ets dependencies

+ g++,cvs,ssh,emacs,kde-cor

The CD seems to have one or two quirks (read: bugs), and is still a
work in progress, but so far I haven't encountered anything
show-stopping.

It could be useful for giving demonstrations of the software to people
when you don't have your own computer handy.

The iso is just over 300 MB, and if anyone's interested, let me know
and I can try to make it available somehow (any thoughts on this?), or
provide instructions to build your own - the debian live-helper system
makes this really easy. There's obviously still room to add some more
packages, so we/I could look at augmenting it if anyone has any simple
requests (for example, I've just realised PIL should be in there -
that'll be in the next iteration).

Angus.
--
AJC McMorland, PhD Student