[SciPy-user] A first proposal for dataset organization

Wed Sep 19 08:42:24 CDT 2007

On 18/09/2007, David Huard <david.huard@gmail.com> wrote:

> For large data sets, I'm not sure I understand what you're meaning. Do you
> intend to include netcdf or HDF5 files and provide an interface to access
> those data sets so users don't have to bother about the underlying engine ?
> Do we really want to distribute a package weighting > 1GB ?

One of the points of this project, as I understand it, is to make it
convenient for people to get and use real datasets. In particular, one
possibility is to not include the data in this package, but instead
only a script to download it from (say) the HEASARC. Thus big datasets
are not outrageous, and more to the point, we need to be able to deal
with them whatever form they are in natively.

Anne