[SciPy-user] Reading in data into a python program!!

Ryan Krauss ryanlists@gmail....
Thu Sep 20 10:12:39 CDT 2007

What does pylab.load do that io.read_array can't?  They look very
similar to me?  skiplines is slightly more intuitive than
lines=(startline,-1), but other than that I think they are the same.
But I could be wrong.

I do this sort of thing alot and have my own fairly elaborate code for
searching through a data file with a header of many lines to find the
start of the data, but that is overkill in this case.

I think a good, flexible, but easy to use function for this kind of
thing is essential.  io.read_array isn't perfect, but it is pretty
good.  If pylab.load has flexibility that io.read_array doesn't than
additional features should be incorporated, IMHO.  I would be
interested in contributing to that (in my spare time :).  My code
depends on the csv module, which I think is part of the standard
python distribution on all platforms.

Ryan