[SciPy-user] stats module accessibility

Thu Sep 27 10:29:34 CDT 2007

On 27/09/2007, Alan G Isaac <aisaac@american.edu> wrote:
> Why not allow direct use of subpackages of scipy?
>
> That is, if I want to ``describe`` a series, why not
> allow::
>
>         scipy.stats.describe(myseries)

In [1]: import scipy.stats

In [2]: scipy.stats.describe?
Type:           function
Base Class:     <type 'function'>
String Form:    <function describe at 0x86640d4>
Namespace:      Interactive
File:           /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/scipy/stats/stats.py
Definition:     scipy.stats.describe(a, axis=0)
Docstring:
[...]

You can't just do "import scipy" and access the subpackages, because
that would mean that a bare "import scipy" had to recursively load all
subpackages, which can be expensive - many shared libraries to load,
for example. This is standard behaviour for python packages.

Anne