[SciPy-user] Multi-peak fitting

william ratcliff william.ratcliff@gmail....
Thu Sep 27 19:44:23 CDT 2007

Are you using a point and click method of choosing initial parameters?  I've
used that in the past and have code in matlab that does that.
Alternatively, for the case where I know the number of peaks, I use the
first and second derivative to look for initial parameters before using a
least squares method for the actual fitting.  I've also implemented this in
MATLAB (still needs to be converted to python).  For well separated peaks,
it works rather nicely.  Now,  I'm interested in trying something using
Bayesian methods to try to also determine how many peaks are present and
their positions in the case where I don't know the widths--I'd like to be
able to safely automate this procedure for when there are larger numbers of
files to be fitted and the point and click method becomes tedious, but where
the peaks are sufficiently overlapped that my current automated method gives
poor initial predictions.  This would be along the lines of Sivia et. al.
Has anyone attempted an implementation of this yet?

Cheers,
William
(btw. for my current automated procedure, I haven't converted it over to
python yet because I didn't notice a savitsky-golay filter already
implemented in scipy--is there one now?)