[SciPy-user] Real-time plotting and data storage format questions

Stef Mientki s.mientki@ru...
Thu Apr 3 12:39:51 CDT 2008

hi Gary,

Gary Pajer wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 12:36 PM, heytrent@gmail.com <heytrent@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> A small team of us are developing a new simulation package from the ground
>> up. Our legacy approach relied on MATLAB and other proprietary software. A
>> hope pf ours is to be able to shed the use of MATLAB for the analysis of our
>> simulation results and instead use python with scipy/numpy/matplotlib etc.
>> I've successfully installed and compiled optimized numpy/scipy and all the
>> supporting packages (ATLAS, FFTW, etc).
>>
>> So far so good.
>>
>> To the point - I have two questions:
>>
>> 1) We would like to have a "scope" to monitor simulation outputs in real
>> time. We're using one tool that can take data over a tcp/ip port, but is
>> clunky and only works on a single platform. Does such a thing exists within
>> the python realm for plotting data in real time?
>>

> Not sure of your detailed needs, but I can point out some options.
> One typical problem in python 'scope applications is speed.  Most
> current graphics solutions weren't designed with realtime use in mind.
>  Nonetheless, the ones that are being actively developed (e.g.
> matplotlib) are better than they used to be.
>
>  Pmw-Blt.
Where can I find information about Pwm-Blt ?
>   This is pretty fast, but development has all but stopped.
> But not entirely stopped.  Too bad.  It's the fastest solution that I
> found in a not-exhaustive search.  Look out: the Linux version of the
> current release has a library bug, and it's necessary to set an
> environment variable to get it to work. This is not documented, AFAIK
>
> I'm currently writing a realtime data acquisition/display application,
> but speed is not critical.  I'm using Enthought Tool Suite (ETS) and
> Traits, and Chaco for data display.  IMHO, I think that in five years
> ETS/Traits will be the most commonly used framework for scientific
> applications.

I'm too writing one/two scope-like units (rewrite of PyPlot), because
MatPlotLib was too slow ;-)
I'm aiming at 16 channels 1 kHz per channel.

cheers,
Stef