[SciPy-user] Getting scipy.stats.models to work on Windows

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Mon Apr 7 13:54:09 CDT 2008

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 11:42 AM, Wes McKinney <wesmckinn@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to distance myself from using R for my research work, and
> unfortunately I need to use Windows. I have been able to get the svn version
> of
> scipy to work on my OS X machine, but on Windows the scipy.stats.models
>  regression models simply hang when I try to use them, ex, from test_rlm.py
> :

>  >>> rlm(design=X)
>
> --> Python freezes
>
> Tried using stable (Numpy 1.0.4, scipy 0.6.0) releases and full latest SVN
> builds for both to no avail. Anyone have any luck with this?

Is your CPU capable of SSE2? Unfortunately, the official numpy binary
has been built with an ATLAS library that was compiled for a CPU
capable of SSE2. This means that the SSE2 instructions will cause
older CPUs to crash. The rlm() constructor does call some linear
algebra functions, so I suspect this is the problem.

There is a binary that was built without SSE2. When I dredge it up, I
will let you know.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."