[SciPy-user] Python(x,y) - New release 1.1.0

Michael.Abshoff michael.abshoff@googlemail....
Wed Apr 16 16:53:21 CDT 2008

David Warde-Farley wrote:

Hi,

> On 16-Apr-08, at 5:24 PM, Ondrej Certik wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 11:07 PM, Neal Becker <ndbecker2@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> Python(x,y) is restricted to only use for non-profit?
>> Seems like that according to:
>>
>> http://pythonxy.com/license.php
>>
>> Just a couple days ago there used to be an open source license. Well,
>> that reduces me interest a lot, as I am not really motivated to
>> contribute to a non-opensource solution.
>
> Hmm... I read that license, quite puzzling.

That puts it nicely. The announcement email states that

Python(x,y) 1.1.0 is now available on http://www.pythonxy.com.
Python(x,y) is a free Python/Eclipse/Qt distribution providing a
complete scientific development environment.

and around here free is generally meant in either the BSD or GPL way.
The "Non-profit OSL 3.0" license might be a free software license by
definition, but as Ondrej stated it reduces my interest to zero once I
saw the license.

> IANAL, but each of the included packages in Python(x,y) have their
> own licenses, and most of the major ones are licensed under the BSD
> license or something similar, which permit commercial use. I'm not
> sure that a license on a software collection can regulate use of its
> more liberally licensed components. At the very least it would be
> hard to enforce. So, maybe what's restricted is the use of the Python
> (x,y) installer by a commercial entity? I really have no idea.
>
> Also, I think there may be some murky water concerning distributing
> GPL'd packages under this license (I notice PyQt is distributed under
> the GPL).  Again, no law degree here, but it seems like it might be a
> problem.

IANAL either, but the licsense states

Python(x,y) software collection is licensed under the terms of the
    following license:

and I read that that the license covers all it components. It isn't only
PyQt, but also components of MinGW like the compiler and so on that is
under the GPL. So this seems more than fishy.

> David

Cheers,

Michael