[SciPy-user] The IO library and image file formats -- compare with with PIL

Stéfan van der Walt stefan@sun.ac...
Mon Apr 21 12:13:50 CDT 2008

On 21/04/2008, Zachary Pincus <zachary.pincus@yale.edu> wrote:
>  Again, what I'm imagining wouldn't be a full-featured image IO
>  library, but something lightweight with no dependencies outside of
>  numpy, and potentially (if JPEG decoding isn't desired), no C-
>  extensions. (One could conceivably use numpy to do JPEG encoding and
>  decoding, but I've no interest in doing that...)

I love it -- let's do it (if everyone agrees, of course).  Having a
Python reference implementation is the way to go.  Should we separate
the io and the image processing routines, or put it all in
scipy.image?

Regards
Stéfan