[SciPy-user] Polynomial interpolation

Ed Rahn ed@lamedomain....
Mon Apr 28 11:20:48 CDT 2008

Gael Varoquaux wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 08:49:06AM -0700, Ed Rahn wrote:
>> Gael Varoquaux wrote:
>
>>> Yes. Some people don't understand functional/object code. We need to keep
>>> scipy accesssible for them.
>

>> It's silly not to use core features of the target language because some
>> people may not have yet learned them.
>
> No it is not. I program in an environment, not alone, for myself. I want
> my cooleagues to understand my code. I have found out that they don't
> understand heavily functionnal programming. I have the choice between
> voiding this style, eventhought I like it or giving up having my code
> reused. Well I know what choice I make.

The group of people who use scipy is much greater than you and your
colleagues. The people who use scipy do so because it uses python. In
this case a problem can be better solved, and the context better
understood using objects.

> Don't blame these people, or if you do, then learn all the optics and
> electronics they know, and come and run our experiments please (and fix
> my photodiode on which I am getting only 300kHz bandwidth while I need at
> least 1MHz). Computing is not their core job. I want scipy to be open to
> these user, because they can thus plug in a framework to eg control an
> experiment, interface to a database... This framework can be written in
> an elaborate way, they will never read it, but I want the option to have
> simple coding available.

I have no problem blaming them. When I use a tool, it's my
responsibility to understand it, not others to work around.

> One of the things my colleague like with Matlab is that it doesn't forces
> them to learn new concepts. What I hate with it is that it forbids me
> (who is writting the experiment-control framework) to use advanced
> concepts. We need to find a middle ground between the two.

Working with so many matlab people, maybe octave would be a better fit
for you? The API's you write and expose to your colleagues can be
independent of the scipy API.

- Ed