[SciPy-user] Polynomial interpolation

Ed Rahn ed@lamedomain....
Mon Apr 28 12:09:31 CDT 2008

Gael Varoquaux wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 09:20:48AM -0700, Ed Rahn wrote:
>> The group of people who use scipy is much greater than you and your
>> colleagues. The people who use scipy do so because it uses python. In
>> this case a problem can be better solved, and the context better
>> understood using objects.
>
> Yes, that's all good. Do provide an elaborate interface, but don't kill
> the simple one.

The original question was about how to implement a new interface,
nothing is being killed. Simple and elaborate are relative to what one
understand. Objects are a central part of python. To me it seems
elaborate to not use a core feature of the language, and instead create
some new type of information passing architecture between appropriate
functions.

>>> One of the things my colleague like with Matlab is that it doesn't forces
>>> them to learn new concepts. What I hate with it is that it forbids me
>>> (who is writting the experiment-control framework) to use advanced
>>> concepts. We need to find a middle ground between the two.
>
>> Working with so many matlab people, maybe octave would be a better fit
>> for you? The API's you write and expose to your colleagues can be
>> independent of the scipy API.
>
> I like to use Python to drive the experiments. Why add another language?
 > Scipy already fits the job. Why force on people the more elaborate
way > of making things?

I think at this point we are going in circles. I didn't suggest another
language, simply a program that your colleagues might find more
appropriate with their current knowledge and problem at hand.

It seems your argument is that scipy is better than matlab, but you want
to keep the same semantics. New code in scipy should use python idioms,
and not matlab or fortran ones simple because people have prior
experience and fell comfortable with them.

- Ed