[SciPy-user] Building Scipy from source

Glen Shennan glen.shennan@gmail....
Tue Dec 2 06:34:29 CST 2008

Hello,

I'm new to Scipy (and Linux in general) and am trying to build Scipy from
source, following the directions on the official installation
guide<http://www.scipy.org/Installing_SciPy/Linux>beginning at the
section titled "Building everything from source with
gfortran on Ubuntu".  I am running Ubuntu 8.04 (Debian, kernel version
2.6.24-22) on a dual-core AMD 64 bit machine.  I can get through the
building of lapack, ATLAS, UMFPACK, FFTW without problems but I can't finish
off the numpy/scipy compile and was hoping someone here could enlighten me.
Numpy compiles but I'm not sure that it is working as intended/required and
the scipy build produces a huge string of errors ending with:

01: error: 'result' undeclared (first use in this function)
build/src.linux-x86_64-2.5/scipy/sparse/linalg/dsolve/umfpack/_umfpack_wrap.c:6201:
warning: implicit declaration of function 'umfpack_zl_get_numeric'
build/src.linux-x86_64-2.5/scipy/sparse/linalg/dsolve/umfpack/_umfpack_wrap.c:6202:
error: expected expression before ')' token
build/src.linux-x86_64-2.5/scipy/sparse/linalg/dsolve/umfpack/_umfpack_wrap.c:6202:
error: too few arguments to function 'SWIG_Python_NewPointerObj'
error: Command "gcc -pthread -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g -fwrapv -O2
-Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fPIC -DSCIPY_UMFPACK_H -DSCIPY_AMD_H
-DATLAS_INFO="\"3.8.2\"" -I/home/glen/scipy_build/lib/include
-I/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/numpy/core/include
-I/usr/include/python2.5 -c
build/src.linux-x86_64-2.5/scipy/sparse/linalg/dsolve/umfpack/_umfpack_wrap.c
-o
build/temp.linux-x86_64-2.5/build/src.linux-x86_64-2.5/scipy/sparse/linalg/dsolve/umfpack/_umfpack_wrap.o"
failed with exit status 1

There are a few hundred similar errors, mostly of the of '01:' form, prior
to this.  I've managed to work through all other installation problems but
cannot find any information on this sort of problem.

To build numpy and scipy I used site.cfg.example and modified it according
to the instructions on the afforementioned
guide<http://www.scipy.org/Installing_SciPy/Linux>,
putting one site.cfg file in each of the numpy and scipy source directories
(downloaded using svn from the official repositories) and then issued

sudo python setup.py build
sudo python setup.py install

in the numpy directory, ~/numpy/ .  This compiled numpy but it gave many,
many warnings of the "unused variable" and "function is not a prototype"
sort.  I then issued the same commands in the scipy source directory, ~/scipy/
.

Can anyone point me to a place I might find an explanation, or more detailed
instructions on how to build numpy and scipy specifically?  I assume there's
more information that's required that I haven't provided, just let me know
if what's required.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Glen