[SciPy-user] Building Scipy from source

David Cournapeau cournape@gmail....
Tue Dec 2 08:29:27 CST 2008

On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 9:34 PM, Glen Shennan <glen.shennan@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm new to Scipy (and Linux in general) and am trying to build Scipy from
> source, following the directions on the official installation guide
> beginning at the section titled "Building everything from source with
> gfortran on Ubuntu".  I am running Ubuntu 8.04 (Debian, kernel version
> 2.6.24-22) on a dual-core AMD 64 bit machine.  I can get through the
> building of lapack, ATLAS, UMFPACK, FFTW without problems but I can't finish
> off the numpy/scipy compile and was hoping someone here could enlighten me.
> Numpy compiles but I'm not sure that it is working as intended/required and
> the scipy build produces a huge string of errors ending with:

Hi Glen,

The easiest way to build both numpy and scipy is to avoid building
atlas, blas and co by yourself. Those are difficult to build right.

Do the following:

sudo apt-get install g77 atlas3-base-dev atlas3-base

Then remove the build directories in both numpy and scipy (to make
sure you build from scratch), as well as the site.cfg files. You
should then be able to build both numpy and scipy without any trouble.
To avoid trouble with umfpack, you should try building scipy with the
following command:

UMFPACK=None python setup.py build

Finally, although last numpy release is fine, you should build scipy
from svn instead of 0.6.0. 0.6 is more than one year old; we are about
to release 0.7, so the trunk should be fairly stable (and we would be
able to help you better if there is any problem compared to 0.6).

David