[SciPy-user] Still having plotting issue with latestsvnscikits.timeseries

Pierre GM pgmdevlist@gmail....
Wed Dec 10 19:15:39 CST 2008

On Dec 10, 2008, at 4:27 PM, Dharhas Pothina wrote:

>> Should have thought about it earlier. When you
>> use .fill_missing_dates
>> on your data, you introduce a lot of missing values. matplotlib
>> doesn't know how to connect those missing values with lines, so it
>> doesn't plot the lines. However, it plots the dots alright. The pb is
>> thus a limitation of matplotlib, not of timeseries (relief), and no,
>> there's no work around.
>
> I'm glad we got this sorted out. Thank Pierre, this toolkit is
> great, saving me a lot of time already.

OK, just to claridy a point:
matplotlib has no problem with masked values: it just ignores them.
The problem we have with your dataset is that the non-masked values
are never consecutive, and matplotlib doesn't know how to connect 2
points separated by one or more masked values. And it's a good thing,
if you think about it. A solution therefore consists in using markers
(dot, square, whatever) in conjunction to the lines. Another consists
in plotting a compressed array, where the missing values are suppressed.