[SciPy-user] fftw and scipy 0.7

Brian Granger ellisonbg.net@gmail....
Thu Dec 11 13:05:23 CST 2008

We use Cython to call the parallel version of FFTW and its worked fine.

> Cython would be a bit difficult because it lacks complex support (more
> exactly, it cannot translate yet into C99 complex numbers; it should
> be possible to circumvent the problems). If you only need real to real
> transforms, I think cython would be a quick way to do it. That's
> certainly how I would do it if I had to.

This was not an issue for us.  We just created our complex arrays as
numpy arrays and then passed the memory pointers into FFTW and it went
fine.  But, we weren't building the actual arrays in cython so we
didn't run into the the lack of C99 complex numbers.

Here is our parallel FFTW wrapper for Cython:

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ipython-dev/ipython/ipythondistarray/files/35?file_id=fft-20080411221448-7w9p8hckcswj4ymh-16

Just a warning. This code has bugs in it and doesn't yet have a test
suite, so I don't recommend copying this verbatim.  But, it at least
shows that it can be done.

Depending on what exactly you want to do, you could get Cython+FFTW
working in a *very* short amount or time.

Cheers,

Brian