[SciPy-user] information on statistical functions

Tim Michelsen timmichelsen@gmx-topmail...
Wed Dec 17 18:58:40 CST 2008

Hello,
I observed that there are 2 standard deviation functions in the
scipy/numpy modules:

Numpy:
http://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy/reference/generated/numpy.std.html#numpy.std

Scipy:
http://docs.scipy.org/doc/scipy/reference/generated/scipy.stats.std.html#scipy.stats.std

What is the difference?
There is no formula included within the docstrings.

I suppose that np.std() is for the whole population and scipy.std is
designed for a smaller sample in the population.
Is that true?

Are there any functions for calculating the mean bias error (MBE)?

I am looking for forumla 3 in
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mean_squared_error#Examples

The function mbe seems to implement it here:
http://cerea.enpc.fr/polyphemus/doc/atmopy/public/atmopy.stat.measure-module.html#mbe

I also found a implementation of root mean square error (RMSE), as
function rms, in:
http://www2-pcmdi.llnl.gov/cdat/source/api-reference/genutil.statistics.html

Unfortunately, cdat cannot be installed natively on Windows.

Thanks in advance,
Timmie