[SciPy-user] information on statistical functions

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Thu Dec 18 05:02:31 CST 2008

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 04:10, Timmie <timmichelsen@gmx-topmail.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
>> I also find the population/sample distinction to be bogus, too. IIRC,
>> there are even some sources which switch around the meanings, too. In
>> any case, the docstring should have a section saying, "If you are
>> looking for what is called the "unbiased" or "sample" estimate of
>> variance, use ddof=1." Those terms are widely, if incorrectly, used,
>> so we should mention them. I just find it disheartening that the terms
>> are used without qualification.
> First, let me state that I leaned statistics in German and hoped to find
> the right translation term.
> For some terms, other languages may even not have a suitable translation.

The terms are commonly used in English the same way that you are using
them. I just happen to disagree with the common practice.

> Second, I would suggest to include the actual formulas in
> such disputed docstrings.

The development version does:

http://docs.scipy.org/numpy/docs/numpy.core.fromnumeric.std/

(before I edited it just now, even).