[SciPy-user] Need Help: Linear Programming

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Sun Dec 21 23:51:16 CST 2008

On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 23:43, Aditya Sethi <ady.sethi@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Robert for the prompt reply.
> I would use the LP Solver Hoyt mentioned and try the options in OpenOpt.
> But it surprises me that there are a number of non-linear optimization
> solvers, but no LP Solvers. How come?

LP solvers are much harder to write. Well, "good" implementations of
an LP solver are more complicated than "good" implementations of a
standard nonlinear local optimizer. The comparison isn't really
apples-to-apples, though. A good LP solver can have much higher
dimensionality than a good nonlinear optimizer will deal with. But
because of this, a typical LP *problem* will also have many more
dimensions, too.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."