[SciPy-user] determinant of a sparse matrix

Giampaolo Cuoghi jpaul74@gmail....
Tue Dec 23 08:44:28 CST 2008

Andy Fraser <afraser <at> lanl.gov> writes:

>     GC> In a particular problem I haven't to solve the linear system
>     GC> Ax=b (with A=sparse matrix) but only compute the determinant
>     GC> of A, and compare it with zero.
>
>     GC> Is it possible, in scipy, the computation of the determinant
>     GC> of a sparse matrix?
>
> I use scipy.sparse.linalg.lobpcg to find the smallest eigenvalue of a
> sparse matrix.  If you only want to know if your determinant is
> different from zero, and you know something about the eigenvalues
> (for example they are real and not negative) you might be able to get
> what you want out of lobpcg.
>
> Andy

Hi Andy,

lobpcg is implemented only in scipy 0.7? It works only for symmetric real and
hermitean complex matrix?

I'm using scipy 0.6 and my matrix is an unsimmetryc complex sparse one.

Giampaolo