[SciPy-user] Python on Intel Xeon Dual Core Machine

Stefan van der Walt stefan@sun.ac...
Sun Feb 3 14:55:04 CST 2008

Hi Lorenzo

On Sat, Feb 02, 2008 at 04:22:14PM +0100, Lorenzo Isella wrote:
> I am currently using a Python script on my box to post-process some
> data (the process typically involves operations on 5000 by 5000
> arrays).
> The Python script also relies heavily on some R scripts (imported via
> Rpy) and a compiled Fortran 90 routine (imported via f2py).
> I have recently made a new Debian testing installation for the amd64
> architecture on my machine [an Intel Xeon Dual-core pc] so I wonder if
> there is any way to take advantage of both CPU's when running that
> script.
> Is it something which can be achieved "automatically" by installing
> and calling some libraries? Do I have to re-write and re-think my
> whole script?

Using a parallelised linear algebra library may address most of your
problems.  I think (and I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong)
that ATLAS can be compiled to use multiple threads, and I know MKL
supports it as well.

Another approach would be to parallelize the algorithm itself, using
something like 'processing' (http://pypi.python.org/pypi/processing/).

You can take that a step further by distributing the problem over
several processes (running on one or more machines), using using
ipython1 (http://ipython.scipy.org/moin/IPython1).

Good luck!

Stéfan