[SciPy-user] Fastest way to read a matrix in

Jose Luis Gomez Dans josegomez@gmx....
Tue Feb 5 09:15:40 CST 2008

Hi!
I have a large set of matrices on ASCII files stored on disk. Each is made up of a number of M of rows, with N elements on each row separated by spaces. I know beforehand what M and N are, and I want to read them into an MxN array (or is it NxM? :D) I am using scipy.io.read_array(), but the performance is fairly slow (these are 80x80ish arrays). While they are on NFS mounts, other programs read the data in faster than python's scipy.io.read_array, so I was wondering whether there's a faster way of reading the data in (maybe giving hints on the number of columns and rows, using some other function, etc)?

Any hints greatly appreciated,
Jose