[SciPy-user] Python on Intel Xeon Dual Core Machine

Lorenzo Isella lorenzo.isella@gmail....
Tue Feb 5 15:52:30 CST 2008

Hello,
And thanks everybody for the many replies.
I partially solved the problem adding some extra RAM memory.
A rather primitive solution, but now my desktop does not use any swap memory and the code runs faster.
Unfortunately, the nature of the code does not easily lend itself to being split up into easier tasks.
However, apart from the parallel python homepage, what is your recommendation for a beginner who wants a smattering in parallel computing (I have in mind C and Python at the moment)?
Cheers

Lorenzo

Message: 5
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 08:21:34 -0600
From: "Bruce Southey" <bsouthey@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [SciPy-user] Python on Intel Xeon Dual Core Machine
To: "SciPy Users List" <scipy-user@scipy.org>

Hi,

There is no general recommendation and it really does depend on what
the scripts are doing. It is not trivial to identify what steps can be
made parallel and can be even more complex to implement parallel
steps.

Given that you are calling R (yes I know R can run in parallel), you
need to rethink and redesign your problem. If the script can be split
into independent pieces (and I really mean completely independent)
then just use threads such as the handythread.py code Anne Archibald
provided on the numpy list or the Python Cookbook. (I would also
suggest searching the numpy list especially for Anne's replies on
this.) Otherwise you will have to learn sufficient about parallel
computing.

.

Regards